Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Jennette McCurdy Reveals She Feels 'So Much Shame' When People Connect Her to 'iCarly' and 'Sam & Cat'

"My body tightens just saying them," said the former actor during the first episode of her new podcast, Hard Feelings.

Jennette McCurdy attends The Future of Audiobooks Event with Spotify 2023 on October 03, 2023 in New York City.
Jennette McCurdy is a best-selling author. Noam Galai/Getty Images for Spotify

Jennette McCurdy said she's still working through unresolved shame associated with the Nickelodeon sitcoms that she starred on more than a decade ago. 

"One of the things that's really important to me in press, if possible, is that iCarly or Sam & Cat are not mentioned," McCurdy, 31, said on the first episode of Hard Feelings, an original podcast from Lemonada Media that premiered on Tuesday, October 24.

"These show titles, my ears burn when I'm saying them," McCurdy explained. "I have so much shame around having been a part of them. And anybody who has read my book I know understands."

McCurdy is known to many for her role as the strong-willed character Sam Puckett on iCarly and its spin-off series Sam & Cat.

She previously opened up about struggling with her identity during that phase of her life in her 2022 New York Times best-selling memoir, I'm Glad My Mom Died.

On her podcast, McCurdy explained that it's frustrating to be associated with a character she's long left behind. 

"To have been known for so long for something that I did when I was 13 was very shameful for me," she said.

McCurdy said that her shame isn't just emotional, it's physical. "My body tightens just saying them," she explained, referring to the titles of the shows.

The author said that for a long time, the success of her book covered up her shame because people were connecting with her as a person and she felt seen. 

"It's so meaningful to me in such a deep way because I felt like finally, I don't have to carry that shame of my past," McCurdy said. "Finally, I can be known for something that I do as an adult. Finally, I can be known for writing, the thing that I'd wanted to do since I was a child and was not supported in wanting to do. Finally, I can be supported for me, not for a character. And it kind of washed away that shame, for me."

McCurdy thought she had moved past that feeling until she did a college tour in support of her book and an attendee at the University of California San Diego yelled about a butter sock, which was a reference to her character on iCarly.

The interruption activated McCurdy's fight-or-flight response and she continued to be triggered not only by that memory but by the mentions of the Nickelodeon shows in a press release about her podcast.

"I thought the success of the book would be enough," McCurdy said. "When is it gonna be enough for them to forget Sam? When is it gonna be enough for them to stop associating me with the f**king shows I did when I was 13?" 

The star said that she unpacked her response in therapy, and was floored when her therapist turned the question on her and asked what it was going to take for her to get past Sam.

McCurdy said that upon reflecting, she understands that her shame can be traced to her late mom fervently supporting the characters she played and neglecting to see her daughter for who she was as a person. McCurdy's response, for a while, was to take out that resentment on people who recognized her as Sam. 

"The more popular that Sam got, the more I just felt unseen as Jennette and fundamentally, I think that was coming from not being able to see myself," she said. 

McCurdy wrapped up her candid episode by saying she's willing to do whatever it takes to not be affected by references to her past acting jobs. 

"I want to be past this," she said.

Stream a Mountain of Entertainment, including your Nickelodeon favorites on Paramount+! Try it FREE at ParamountPlus.com!


Original source: Insider.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon, Paramount Plus and iCarly News and Highlights!

Big Time Rush to Release Deluxe Version of 'Another Life' in November 2023

Recently reunited boy band will release deluxe edition of new album 'Another Life' in November

Big Time Rush
Juan Algarin*

Big Time Rush are ready to cap off another big year with even more new music. The boy band, who reunited in 2021 after a seven-year hiatus, are dropping a deluxe edition of their new album Another Life on November 10th. To roll out the new edition, the group is giving fans “Weekends,” a smooth new track and one of five songs on the project.

On the track, the quartet lament how a lover only calls them on the weekends. They want more from this situationship but the object of their affection is a ghost the rest of the week. In the video, directed by Michael B. Chait, the band is seen performing together onstage. Between scenes, they’re shown in a club chasing after the mystery girl who slithers away from them every time they catch a glance of her.


Big Time Rush released Another Life in June of this year on their independent label Bought the Rights and BMG. It was the group’s first album in decade as well as first off their Nickelodeon contract. Before putting out a new project, the group had been extensively touring since announcing a couple shows in 2021. Their Forever Tour in 2022 was a long time coming, with the group selling out arenas and amphitheaters, including Madison Square Garden. In June, they embarked on their Can’t Get Enough Tour, which wrapped in August.

 “Being back together for both sold-out tours was just like old times,” Big Time Rush told Rolling Stone in a joint statement. “We’re so comfortable on stage, it really feels natural to be there. That’s the best part of the job by far. We’ve had a lot of fun these last two summers and loved seeing the fans embrace the new music.” 



Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon and Big Time Rush News and Highlights!

Paramount+ Given The Keys To 'Top Gear Australia'

Paramount+ Given The Keys To Top Gear Australia.

Racing to Paramount+ In 2024.

Top Gear Australia

What do a music composer, lovable larrikin and a TV host have in common with millions of people around the world? The need for speed.

Paramount+ and BBC Studios Australia and New Zealand today announced a new Australian version of Top Gear, the globally acclaimed series known for its adrenaline-fuelled adventures and outrageous challenges, is parking itself on Paramount+ Australia in 2024. The series will be produced by BBC Studios local production arm.

It wouldn’t be Top Gear without the high-octane antics, so rest assured, they aren’t going anywhere. But in 2024, the mechanics behind Top Gear Australia have given the series an epic tune up, introducing three new hosts. In the driver’s seat is music composer and car enthusiast, Blair Joscelyne, loveable larrikin Beau Ryan and Jonathan LaPaglia.

Blair “Moog” Joscelyne is the co-creator of the popular indie auto YouTube series Mighty Car Mods. With his best mate Marty Mulholland, the independent automotive series began back in 2007, when Marty and Moog started filming videos in Marty’s mum’s driveway.

They’ve come a long way since then with over half a billion YouTube views, making it the #1 DIY Automotive channel in Australia, and one of the most watched automotive programs in the world. Blair is also an accomplished music composer, musician, producer, and film maker.

Blair said: “It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity when you get asked to be part of one of the biggest motoring shows in the world. And I will take my job seriously of frying the tyres of any vehicle that the producers are irresponsible enough to hand me the keys to.”

It’s no secret that Australia can’t get enough of this guy. A prankster with boundless energy, Beau Ryan is not only the host of The Amazing Race Australia, but in 2024 he will also co-host the highly anticipated series, Gladiators, on 10.

Beau’s cheeky sense of humour and bloke-next-door attitude make him the perfect co-driver for Top Gear Australia.

Beau Ryan said: “I’m super excited to be part of such an iconic franchise and can’t wait to bring it back to Australia. So, fasten your seatbelts, because this is going to be one hell of a ride!”

Internationally acclaimed actor, Jonathan LaPaglia, a true connoisseur of cars, has been steering Australian Survivor castaways through their most demanding trials, and he’s now revving up for his most adrenaline-fueled adventure to date.

Jonathan LaPaglia said: “When Network 10 and BBC Studios asked me if I’d be interested traveling all over the world to test really cool cars and behave like an idiot I said, “Of course I’m interested. Where do I sign? Top Gear is arguably the biggest (and greatest) car show ever and as a massive fan I used to fantasise being on it one day as a guest racing the Reasonably Priced Car around their test track. I waited, that call never came. But 20 years later someone at Top Gear HQ screwed up, confused me with someone else, and asked me to be the host of Top Gear Australia? Buckle up, this could get bumpy!”

From heart-pounding races across iconic landscapes to in-depth reviews of the latest automotive marvels, Top Gear Australia will deliver the excitement and entertainment that fans around the world have come to love.

SVP Content & Programming, Paramount Australia & New Zealand, Daniel Monaghan said: “We are thrilled to be partnering with BBC Studios to bring a localised version of the iconic series to Paramount +. Top Gear Australia promises to deliver everything fans love about the show but with an Aussie twist. We can’t wait for Jonathan, Beau and Blair to get behind the wheel of the world’s biggest car entertainment show.

Kylie Washington, General Manager and Creative Director, Production, BBC Studios Australia and New Zealand, said: “Top Gear is a global juggernaut which has entertained viewers in over 150 territories worldwide and we are excited to bring this fresh, new-imagining of the show to Australian audiences together with Paramount+. In Jonathan, Beau and Blair we have found a winning combination of expert knowledge and on-screen chemistry that we know audiences will love.”

The eight-part series, which begins filming later this year, is based on the world-famous format from BBC Studios.

And to add to the excitement, fans of Top Gear will be able to catch Seasons 27 to 31 (2019 to 2021) of the UK series with hosts Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff, Chris Harris and Paddy McGuinness on Paramount+ in 2024.

Try Paramount+ at ParamountPlus.com.au.

About Paramount+

Paramount+ is a global digital subscription video streaming service from Paramount that features a mountain of premium entertainment for audiences of all ages. Internationally, the streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including SHOWTIME®, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel™, in addition to a robust offering of premier local content. The service is currently live in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia, Latin America, the Caribbean, Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Switzerland and South Korea.

***


Originally published: October 25, 2023.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon Australia & New Zealand and Paramount Plus News and Highlights!

Paramount+ Australia Releases 'NCIS: Sydney' Key Art And New Look Trailer

Paramount+ Australia Releases Key Art And New Look Trailer For NCIS: SYDNEY.

NCIS: Sydney

Paramount+ Australia today released the key art and new-look trailer set to the iconic soundtrack of INXS’s hit song Kick, for the highly-anticipated original series NCIS: SYDNEY.

The eight-episode debut season will stream exclusively on Paramount+ Australia from Friday, 10 November, dropping new episodes weekly on a Friday. Get Paramount+ at ParamountPlus.com.au.

Filmed against the spectacular backdrop of one of the world’s most breathtaking harbour cities, NCIS: SYDNEY is the first-ever international series from the global NCIS franchise outside of the US, and sees rising international tensions in the Indo-Pacific. The brilliant and eclectic team of U.S. NCIS Agents and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) are grafted into a multi-national taskforce, to keep naval crimes in check, in the most contested patch of ocean on the planet.

The NCIS: SYDNEY team will be led by NCIS Special Agent Michelle Mackey played by Olivia Swann (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The River Wild) and her 2IC AFP counterpart, Sergeant Jim “JD” Dempsey played by Todd Lasance (Without Remorse, Spartacus: War of the Damned). They are joined by Sean Sagar (The Covenant, Mea Culpa) as NCIS Special Agent, DeShawn Jackson; Tuuli Narkle (Mystery Road: Origin, Bad Behaviour) as AFP Liaison Officer, Constable Evie Cooper; Mavournee Hazel (Shantaram, Halifax: Retribution) as AFP Forensic Scientist, Bluebird ‘Blue’ Gleeson and William McInnes (The Newsreader, Total Control) as AFP Forensic Pathologist, Dr Roy Penrose.

Produced by Endemol Shine Australia for CBS Studios and Paramount Australia, and distributed outside Australia by Paramount Global Content Distribution, NCIS: SYDNEY is created by Morgan O’Neill (Les Norton), who also serves as executive producer alongside Endemol Shine Australia’s Sara Richardson (RFDS) and Sue Seeary (Ten Pound Poms), with Michele Bennett (Mr Inbetween) as producer.

NCIS: SYDNEY will premiere in the U.S. on Tuesday 14 November on The CBS Television Network, with additional Paramount+ markets to follow.

NCIS is one of the world’s most successful TV dramas, ranking as the #1 U.S. TV drama franchise globally. In the U.S. alone, NCIS has amassed over 4.1 trillion minutes viewed across the entire franchise during its 20 years on TV. NCIS, NCIS: LOS ANGELES, NCIS: HAWAI’I and NCIS: NEW ORLEANS, have been licensed in over 200 markets worldwide and NCIS won the International Audience Award as the most watched television series by Médiamétrie and Eurodata in 2014, 2015 and 2017.

Join the conversation:

@ParamountPlusAU
@NCISverse
@cbstv
#NCISSydney

Here’s the new-look NCIS: SYDNEY trailer.


***


Originally published: October 25, 2023.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon Australia & New Zealand and Paramount Plus News and Highlights!

Nickelodeon India Wishes You A Happy Dussehra

Let's defeat all evil with Love and Kindness ✨ Nickelodeon India wishes you a Happy Dussehra! #happydussehra


Happy-Dussehra


Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Dussehra on Nickelodeon India News and Highlights!