Friday, February 07, 2025

Peppa Pig, PAW Patrol and Blaze and the Monster Machines Among China’s Top Kids Content Imports In 2024

A new report from Midolala ranks Youku as the region's leading streamer for children's content, with more than 250 titles released last year.

Peppa Pig Wedding Special

Peppa Pig, PAW Patrol and Kung Fu Panda were among China’s most-watched foreign kids franchises last year, according to a new report from Midolala, a Paris-based distributor that specializes in the Chinese market, Kidscreen is reporting.

This International Children’s Content in China and In-Depth Market Analysis breaks down kids content viewership trends on four major Chinese platforms (Tencent, Youku, iQIYI and Mango TV), as well as spotlighting international programs that have been successful in the region.

All told, the streamers debuted 550 kids titles last year, including original launches and new seasons. Nearly half of these rollouts took place on Youku (253), followed by iQIYI (121), Tencent (115) and Mango TV (60). 

'Peppa Pig', 'PAW Patrol' and 'Blaze and the Monster Machines' Among China’s Top Kids Content Imports In 2024

Youku also led the pack by a wide margin in international kids content launches at 63 (up by roughly 50% from 2023), putting it well ahead of iQIYI (31), Tencent (25) and Mango TV (12). But all four platforms released more imports in 2024 compared to the previous year, with Tencent recording a 90% uptick.

However, Midolala founder Manya Zhou warns that this trend may not necessarily continue. “In 2025, Chinese platforms are likely to adopt more cautious strategies for content acquisition, which may result in fewer releases of international children’s shows,” she says, adding that Youku seems poised to remain the leading platform.

“Moreover, platforms will focus on co-productions with domestic studios, driven by cost efficiency and their ability to meet local market demands effectively,” says Zhou, who expects to see more domestic programming dominance this year. Midolala is also forecasting a rise in popularity for mecha (stories that feature robots and mechanical beings) and girl-skewing content—two of the three best-performing kids genres in 2024, topped only by adventure-comedies.

Based on a measurement of peak popularity (the highest level of engagement achieved after a program’s release), Midolala’s report ranks 2024’s top three international kids titles on each platform as follows: 

iQIYI:


Youku:


Tencent:


Mango TV (ranked by viewership figures):

  • PAW Patrol (season 10) 
  • Peppa Pig (season 10) 
  • Sunny Bunnies (season 7)

Midolala notes that the 10th season of Peppa Pig was the best-performing international title overall. But Spin Master’s PAW Patrol season 10 took the lead in other metrics, such as average daily popularity (total engagement divided by the number of days on the platform) on iQIYI. And Mango TV—which was the only platform that shared viewership data—recorded 440 million views for PAW Patrol‘s 10th season, compared to 200 million for Peppa Pig‘s.

The full report (based on data from statistical sources, including Youku, Tencent, iQIYI, Mango TV and NianTong Kids’ Data) is available on the official Midolala website.

Paramount+ is HERE! Stream a Mountain of Entertainment, including your Nickelodeon favorites! Try it FREE at ParamountPlus.com!



Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon China News and Highlights!

‘South Park’ Streaming Brawl: Warner Bros Discovery Fights To Keep Alive Suit Against Paramount Global & Series Creators

See below for the latest updates

The studios are putting on a united front when it comes to the striking scribes and actors, but the Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount Global dust-up over who really has the streaming rights to Eric Cartman and the South Park gang shows no signs of settling down, Deadline reports.

Cartman from South Park

In the match of legal dodgeball that the David Zaslav and Shari Redstone-run conglomerates have been hurling at each other the past few months, WBD are now moving to have Paramount’s partial motion to dismiss tossed out.

“Defendants’ Motion has the dubious distinction of trying to downplay while simultaneously highlighting the very misconduct which forced Plaintiff to file this suit,” declares WBD’s memorandum of opposition to the desire by Paramount and series creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone to disperse the Max parent company’s $200 million lawsuit (read it here).

“The reality is that Defendant South Park Digital Studios agreed that Plaintiff’s HBO Max streaming platform would be the exclusive destination for consumers looking to stream new episodes of the popular comedy series South Park. Defendants came to regret having granted these exclusive streaming rights to Plaintiff when Paramount Global launched its own streaming platform, Paramount+,” WBD added.

In a Hollywood seemingly looking to cut costs and trim spending everywhere it can, the initially filed February 24 action over South Park comes from the $500 million 2019 deal where then AT&T-owned WarnerMedia snared multi-year domestic streaming rights to the 23-season past seasons of South Park plus several new seasons. Adding around 300 episodes of the Comedy Central show to Warner’s inventory for mid-2020, the agreement with the then Viacom was to be paid in installments of about $25 million a quarter – which worked out fine until early this year.

That’s when WBD turned off the money tap in protest, but kept streaming the series

The company alleges that soon after an August 2021 $900 million “f*ck you-money” deal that ViacomCBS made with Parker and Stone’s South Park Digital Studios, the 2019 deal started to sour. WBD claims Paramount SPDS and MTV Entertainment wedged in loophole of sorts in the original deal that now permitted them to fully retain new seasons of South Park and more than a dozen so-called “original movies” based on the series.

Rubbing some vinegar in the wound, a subscriber seeking Paramount+ said in early 2022 that come 2025 they would be the global streaming hub for all the South Park episodes, movies, and made-for-streaming movies.

“In short, Defendants’ assertions that it provided all required content to Plaintiff are contradicted by the multitude of factual allegations evincing SPDS’s bad faith conduct in diverting new South Park episodes to Paramount+ after granting exclusive streaming rights in such content to Plaintiff,” says WBD in their July 13 East Coast opposition filing. “At most, Defendants’ assertions present a disputed issue of fact that a jury will need to decide, not grounds for dismissal of Plaintiff’s well-pled claims at the initial pleading stage.”

Giving Paramount the gears for “deceptive acts” to lure viewers to watch South Park on Paramount+  over what was once called HBO Max, WBD are determined to have this Steaming Wars battlefield remain very active, at least for now.

“This is not merely ‘garden variety’ behavior as Defendants argue,” the 27-page document asserts. “Rather, it is a textbook example of bad faith business conduct, with a consequential adverse impact on consumers at large. Plaintiff’s claims are based on well-pled factual allegations that go far beyond the minimal requirements necessary to withstand a motion to dismiss. Defendants’ Motion is groundless and should be denied in its entirety.”

The opposition drafted up by WBD’s Walden Macht & Haran LLP attorneys asks New York Judge Margaret Chan to schedule an oral argument hearing on whether Paramount Global’s partial motion can go forward or not. Though Zaslav and Redstone may not be bringing it up around the fireplace at Sun Valley this year over roasted marshmallows, there is also the matter of Paramount’s more than $50 million countersuit too.

That missive from the Redstone-run corporation was fired off in April along with the partial motion to dismiss.

Or, as Cartman once said: “The only way to fight hate is with even more hate!”

Neither WBD nor Paramount Global responded to Deadline's requests today for comment on this latest legal move.

Update (2/7/25) - Max's rights to the South Park catalog are set to expire in 2025, with the series thought to be heading to Paramount+.

Update (2/7/25) - via Deadline:

Warner Bros Discovery‘s lawsuit against over South Park streaming rights looks like it’s headed to trial. In a legal win for WBD, a Manhattan judge ruled today that defendant Paramount Global might have breached its contract with the David Zaslav-run company.

Justice Margaret Chan of New York State Supreme Court denied a motion for summary judgment by Paramount Global and MTV Entertainment Studios to dismiss the “unjust enrichment” portion of the $200 million suit (read the ruling here). The decision clears the way for the case to go before a jury.

“Plaintiff makes multiple allegations that defendants deny but at this time have neither proven nor disproven,” Chan wrote.

At issue is the right to stream episodes labeled as “specials” not specified in the companies’ deal. Chan ruled that

Paramount/MTV had argued that the unjust-enrichment portion duplicated other claims in the lawsuit and that, even if that weren’t the case, the claim should be tossed because WBD failed to plead the essential element that the defendants received a benefit at plaintiff’s expense.”

But Chan disagreed on both counts, ruling that Paramount/MTV “define the dispute too narrowly.” The defendants, she wrote, “didn’t receive third-party fees in the abstract; Paramount/MTV received the right to stream the Specials, and people who wanted to watch or advertise during the Specials gave Paramount/MTV money. That money would have gone to plaintiff if plaintiff were the one streaming the Specials. Thus, a benefit has been alleged.”

Stream a Mountain of Entertainment, including your Nickelodeon favorites on Paramount+! Try it FREE at ParamountPlus.com!



Originally published: July 15, 2023.

Special thanks to @RegularTweetsUK and @916786wc for the news!

Follow NickALive! on TwitterRedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon and Paramount Plus News and Highlights!

ZARA Launches Paddington Kids Collection

Collection captures the spirit of adventure and the magic of childhood with charming Paddington illustrations.

ZARA x Paddington Collection
ZARA x Paddington Collection | STUDIOCANAL KIDS & FAMILY

ZARA has unveiled a new 7-piece kids collection inspired by the beloved Paddington Bear. The exclusive range includes sweaters, pajamas and ultra-soft touch T-shirts. The collection features a modern color palette of sage green, bottle green and soft cream and pieces adorned with raised prints to blend classic designs with a contemporary twist.  

The collection launches as Paddington’s latest cinematic adventure, Paddington in Peru, developed, produced, and distributed by STUDIOCANAL. It is being released in cinemas worldwide and will soon be available on digital media in the U.K. 

The ZARA x Paddington collection is available to purchase globally online, exclusively at Zara.com. 

The deal was brokered by Edebè Licensing, STUDIOCANAL KIDS & FAMILY’s agent for Spain and Portugal.


Stream your favorite Nick Jr. shows on Paramount+! Try Paramount+ for FREE at ParamountPlus.com!



Original source: License Global.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon Preschool, Nick Jr., and The Adventures of Paddington Bear News and Highlights!

Paramount+ Australia Now Casting Party People For 'Aussie Shore' Season Two

Want To Party? Enquire Within.

'Aussie Shore' key art

February 7, 2025

Aussie Shore Season Two Coming In 2025 To Paramount+ Australia.

The show you would never watch with your grandma, is back! And it’s on the search for party people to join in on the fun.

The Australian iteration of the smash-hit, international reality “Shores” franchise, Aussie Shore, burst on to screens in 2024, and today Paramount+ Australia confirmed there’s more fun to be had with a second season due to start production soon.

Think you can keep up with the shenanigans of the OG Aussie Shore cast? You may be in luck because casting has begun. To apply, head to shortaudition.tv/Party-People.

Earning itself the bragging rights of the number one reality show on Paramount+ Australia, season one saw 11 fresh-faced, unapologetically wild Aussie singletons embody the Shore spirit and come together as one big dysfunctional family, calling Cairns their home for the most unforgettable and unfiltered summer of their lives!

The Aussie Shore house will once again be the epicentre of outrageously wild action that takes place in a non-stop party town in tropical North Queensland, where the Great Barrier Reef meets the Daintree Rainforest. Tropical all year-round, Cairns is a tourist magnet and backpacker paradise with breathtaking views and bucket list activities to keep the Aussie Shore housemates entertained.

Grab your BBQ Shapes (IYKYK) and relive the record breaking first season of Aussie Shore on Paramount+, which is also home to a plethora of Australian Originals including Fake, Last King Of The Cross, NCIS: Sydney, The Inspired Unemployed (Impractical) Jokers and Top Gear Australia.

You can stream 20,000 hours of unique stories, iconic stars, live sport and a mountain of entertainment on Paramount+ with plans starting from $6.99 per month for a monthly subscription or from $61.99 for an annual subscription.

Join the conversation:


@ParamountPlusAU

#AussieShore

***

  • Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Applications close on Monday, February 17th 2025

 
Try Paramount+ at ParamountPlus.com.au.


Originally published: February 07, 2025.

Casting Call, Auditions.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon Australia & New Zealand and Paramount Plus News and Highlights!

Paramount+ Australia Releases Key Art And Official Trailer For 'NCIS: Sydney' Season Two

Paramount+ Australia Releases Key Art And Official Trailer For NCIS: Sydney Season Two.

'NCIS: Sydney' season two key art/poster

January 20, 2025

New Season Of The Paramount+ Original Series Streaming Exclusively From Friday, 7 February.

Paramount+ Australia today released the key art and official trailer for Season Two of the highly anticipated original series NCIS: Sydney. The ten-episode season will premiere exclusively on Paramount+ on Friday, 7 February in Australia, with new episodes dropping weekly on Fridays. Internationally, NCIS: Sydney Season Two will premiere in the U.S. on Friday, 7 February on The CBS Television Network, with additional Paramount+ international markets to follow later. 


Having only just found their feet, the second season sees NCIS: Sydney square off against a much more powerful adversary. The investigation into Rankin reveals a looming destructive chaos that threatens the stability of the region. The cases are bigger, locations more exotic, the stakes much higher. With everything on the line, will NCIS: Sydney triumph against all odds – or be torn apart at their very core? 

The NCIS: Sydney Season Two team is led by NCIS Special Agent Michelle Mackey played by Olivia Swann (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The River Wild) and her 2IC Australian Federal Police (AFP) counterpart, Sergeant Jim “JD” Dempsey played by Todd Lasance (Without Remorse, Spartacus: War of the Damned). They are joined by Sean Sagar (The Covenant, Mea Culpa) as NCIS Special Agent, DeShawn Jackson; Tuuli Narkle (Mystery Road: Origin, Bad Behaviour) as AFP Liaison Officer, Constable Evie Cooper; Mavournee Hazel (Shantaram, Halifax: Retribution) as AFP Forensic Scientist, Bluebird ‘Blue’ Gleeson and William McInnes (The Newsreader, Total Control) as AFP Forensic Pathologist, Dr Roy Penrose. 

Produced by Endemol Shine Australia for CBS Studios and Paramount Australia, and distributed outside Australia by Paramount Global Content Distribution, the first season of NCIS: Sydney is one of the most watched local series since the launch of Paramount+ Australia and earned a 2024 TV Week Logie nomination. It premiered on CBS US as the #1 new drama in the fall of the 2023-2024 season, with the series premiere reaching over 10 million viewers on linear in the U.S, including an encore episode.

NCIS is the world’s most successful television franchise globally. NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: Hawai’i, NCIS: Sydney and NCIS: New Orleans, have been licensed in over 200 markets worldwide with two more franchise expansions, the recently launched prequel series, NCIS: Origins, and the upcoming Paramount+ Original series, NCIS: Tony & Ziva.

NCIS won the International Audience Award as the most watched television series by Médiamétrie and Eurodata in 2014, 2015 and 2017.

NCIS: Sydney Season Two will join a host of the world’s best entertainment currently streaming on Paramount+, including Aussie Shore, Last King of The Cross Season Two, The Inspired Unemployed (Impractical) Jokers Season Two, Fake, Dexter: Original Sin, The Agency, Landman, Lioness Season Two and Frasier Season Two, with Star Trek: Section 31, Watson and Yellowjackets Season Three streaming soon.

You can stream 20,000 hours of unique stories, iconic stars, live sport and a mountain of entertainment on Paramount+ with plans starting from $6.99 per month for a monthly subscription or from $61.99 for an annual subscription.

Join the conversation:
@ParamountPlusAU 
@NCISverse 
@cbstv 
#NCISSydney   

***
 
Try Paramount+ at ParamountPlus.com.au.


Originally published: February 07, 2025.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, RedditInstagramFacebookGoogle NewsTumblrvia RSS and more for the latest Nickelodeon Australia & New Zealand and Paramount Plus News and Highlights!